Will you remember where you were when the 2010 free agency fireworks kicked off with the first signing of the season?
Nikola Pekovic to the Wolves! Woohoo!!
Other news? None really.
Other news of interest? The Rockets are making a hard sell for fellow Texan Chris Bosh.
And with that, we kick off today's free agency thread. Enjoy
[Note by Seth Pollack, 07/01/10 8:07 AM MST ]
- Twitter / John Gambadoro: The Suns made a 5-year off ...
The Suns made a 5-year offer for around $20M to free agent Channing Frye late last nite. Frye has not accepted the offer at this point.
and why would Frye sign a $20m deal when Drew Gooden got $32m? $32m!!! for a guy who's played with 8 teams in 8 years. Oh, Lordy this is going to be a painful few weeks
- NBA Free Agency: Bucks Give Drew Gooden $32 Million Contract, For Some Reason - SBNation.com
Now, they've apparently wasted no time in signing Drew Gooden to a five-year, $32 million contract.
and your obligatory Amare itinerary update...
- azcentral.com blogs - Coro's Suns dish - PaulCoro - Stoudemire meets Riley, plans NY trip
Amar'e Stoudemire's free agency life opened Wednesday with a late-night meeting with Miami Heat President Pat Riley and is slated to continue with a weekend visit to New York.
[Note by Seth Pollack, 07/01/10 8:31 AM MST ]
Not sure if Gambo is being sarcastic, but Frye would be nuts to take this without hearing more offers.
- Twitter / John Gambadoro: Suns have upped the offer ...
Suns have upped the offer to Channing Frye to 5 years and $25 million --he would be nuts not to jump at this!!!!!
[Note by Seth Pollack, 07/01/10 9:14 AM MST ]
- azcentral.com blogs - Coro's Suns dish - PaulCoro - Amar'e, Miami, NY & 4 or 5 years Stoudemire and Walters met for about two hours Wednesday night in Los Angeles with Heat President Pat Riley. "It was good," Walters said. "It was a first date.....The teams expected to court Stoudemire the most are the teams with the most space, like Miami, New York, Chicago, New Jersey and the Los Angeles Clippers. But Cleveland and Houston...as well as Stoudemire's "hometown" team of Orlando...There are mixed reports about whether the Suns have increased their offer to Stoudemire from a four-year, $80 million deal to a five-year one. "We're not doing anything that's not five years," Walters said.
[Note by Seth Pollack, 07/01/10 11:03 AM MST ]
My thoughts on paying Frye. Hint: Pay Frye.
- Channing Frye Deserves 5yr/$25m Or More - Desert Dirt - SB Nation Arizona
compare a $25m or even $35m contract for Channing with the $71m the Utah Jazz committed to Mehmet Okur from 2004 to 2012 (and let's not even talk about the 6yr/$118m the Magic gave Rashard Lewis). That's a bargain. Sign the man before some other team who needs a big man to stretch the floor offers him $40m. Someone surely will.
[Note by Seth Pollack, 07/01/10 12:38 PM MST ]
Oh my, I hope that someone is blowing smoke with this one. Replacing Frye with Brian Cook or Mark Blount? I didn't know those guys were still alive, let alone playing in the league.
- Phoenix Suns offer Channing Frye 5-year, $25 million deal
While no player can sign a deal for a week, the Suns might not be inclined to leave the offer on the table until then. Inexpensive shooting free agent big men like Brian Cook and Mark Blount have been discussed.
[Note by Wil Cantrell, 07/01/10 12:54 PM MST ]
From Paul Coro:
Gentry talked at a youth camp today at T-bird HS for a few minutes but had to leave early when Sarver called him to the office.
OMG!!!! Let the speculation begin people....What was this about?
[Note by Seth Pollack, 07/01/10 2:44 PM MST ]
Update on Channing. I still say, pay the man.
- Twitter / John Gambadoro: Hearing it will take full ...
Hearing it will take full mid-level for the Suns to keep Channing Frye, which would be between $32 and $34 million over 5 years
[Note by Seth Pollack, 07/01/10 4:06 PM MST ]
Lou update. Curious to see what Lou's market value is. Guessing around $6 to $10m total contact
- Twitter / Paul Coro: Louis Amundson has drawn f ...
Louis Amundson has drawn free agent interest from about 12 teams, including the Suns.
[Note by Seth Pollack, 07/01/10 6:19 PM MST ]
A couple of more depressing tweets. Hopefully, this is only spin.
This is from Amare's business agent...
- Twitter / Travis King: @Gambo620 Phones are going ...
Phones are going crazy for @Happywalters. Some franchises are ready to give @Amareisreal THE MAX before Lebron & D Wade decide.
- Twitter / John Gambadoro: Phoenix Suns will not meet ...
Phoenix Suns will not meet Channing Frye's demands of full mid level contract 5/32 so unless Frye comes down he has played last game for phx
[Note by Seth Pollack, 07/01/10 7:02 PM MST ]
Warrick is hopefully just a short term place-holder. Not impressed
- Suns showing most interest in Warrick - TrueHoop Blog - ESPN
The Phoenix Suns are showing the most interest in athletic power forward Hakim Warrick and have begun exchanging potential salary figures with Warrick’s representatives, according to sources close to the situation.
Amir Johnson gets 5yr/$34m but can't give Frye $32. Ok. That makes no sense.
- Raptors re-sign F Amir Johnson - NBA- nbcsports.msnbc.com
Amir Johnson has reached agreement on a five-year, $34 million contract to return to the Toronto Raptors.
[Note by Wil Cantrell, 07/01/10 7:30 PM MST ]
From Paul Coro: Amar'e Stoudemire has received his best offer so far from another team but still talking with the Suns.
I don't even know what this means, but....TOTAL COVERAGE.
[Note by Wil Cantrell, 07/01/10 7:46 PM MST ]
RT @Gambo620: Suns have agreed to 5 year $30 million dollar contract with free agent center Channing Frye.
[Note by Wil Cantrell, 07/01/10 8:16 PM MST ]
On the Stoudemire front, I don't know which team made the better offer yet but those closer to the situation think it's New York.
I take it he means the better offer to Amare, not the Suns in a S & T. This is surprising in my view since Mike D and Amare had issues. Specifically, Amare blaming Mike and his system for never teaching him how to play defense...
[Note by Seth Pollack, 07/01/10 9:48 PM MST ]
More on Amare's probably departure. Of course, Gambo also reported that the Suns offer of 5yr/$25m was their final offer for Channing. Which isn't to say Gambo is unreliable as much to say that things change fast.
- Twitter / John Gambadoro: It's official-Suns and Ama ...
It's official-Suns and Amare have broken off all talks after last proposal turned down and there is NO chance he will return to the Phx Suns
- Twitter / John Gambadoro: I do not expect a sign and ...
I do not expect a sign and trade to happen for Amare. I also believe that he has a max contract offer on table from Knicks right now.