I recall reading a comment in the preview from someone that went like this:
"If the Suns lose this, they don't deserve to be in the playoffs."
And that was a truth that any Suns fan knew. Perhaps the easiest game left on the schedule, a home game Vs. Portland. An easy victory coupled with a little luck (Denver taking out Houston) could place the Suns in a tie for the WC 8th seed.
Los Suns jumped out to a 35-24 first quarter lead. After some Luke Babbitt and Nolan Smith nonsense, the Suns restored order, going on an 11-2 second quarter run. Channing Frye scored 11 quick points, and the Suns played a modicum of defense to slow the Blazers and exit the half with a 66-53 lead. Steve Nash dished 10 assists in his first 17 minutes of play, and every Suns starter save Nash scored in double figures.
The Suns extended their lead to 19 on an 8-0 3rd quarter run. The starters shared the rock, taking turns hitting shots like it was a preseason game against the NAU Lumberjacks. Jared Dudley added 8, Channing Frye, 7. The Suns concluded the 3rd with 31 points, their third consecutive quarter of 30 points or more, while shooting 62% from the field.
HELLO 8 SEED!
- The Suns starters logged a +112. Shannon Brown was the minutes leader with 30
- Steve Nash - 13 assists, 6 points
- Marcin Gortat - 20 points, 10 boards
- Shannon Brown - 16 points
- Jared Dudley - 18 points
- Channing Frye - 19 points, 6 rebounds, 2 steals
- Markieff Morris - 14 points, 6 boards
- Sebastian Telfair - 12 points, 3 assists, 3 boards
* Editorial Note by Omaha Sun: Tonight's victory extended the Suns' undefeated streak when the Bright Side's own Watdogg has his art featured on the Suns Free Throw cover. Keep it up Dustin!