Maybe we've done this before, maybe a month or or maybe two years ago, but hell man, we're in the midst of an ugly lockout. Do you have anything better to do?
So here is how how we'll play this game: You take the best 5 in Suns history-go new, go old school, whatever makes you happy. But let's just say you can revive the retired, traded, or deceased, what Suns players in their prime would give the franchise the best chance at winning a title.
Here are some ideas:
- Center: Maybe the easiest to choose from, since the Suns haven't had many or any dominant centers. Is Gortat set to average 20/10 and become an All Star? Do you harken for the small ball with Amar'e in the middle or maybe the multi-talented yet smaller Alvin Adams? (No you can't pick Shaq in his prime), or maybe you have amnesia and thought Hot Rod Williams or Jake Tsakilidis were quality big men.
- PF: Hard not to pick Amar'e Soutdemire. Or maybe not. What about Charles Barkley? Oooh tough one there. Chuck hit the glass better than Stat, yeah? What about Tommy Chambers? Remember Clifford Robinson? Nah, neither do I.
- SF: Here's where it gets fun. Shawn Marion or Grant Hill? Richard Dumas or Cedric Ceballos? Larry Nance anyone? This may be an easy one.
- SG: Memories of JRich are in the front of our minds. But what about Dan Majerle's defense? Remember Horny Hornacek hitting from beyond the arc? Remember backcourt 2000 featuring Penny at the 2? Then there was Joe Johnson, who without the orbital fracture may have led the Suns to the promised land. You want old school, how 'bout the greyhound, Walter Davis? We loved Raja Bell, and who doesn't have a soft spot for Leandro Barbosa?
- PG: Easy. Nash, right? But there were other greats: K.J., Jason Kidd, and don't forget D.J. (RIP) or Starbury (yeah maybe we want to forget him)
I've missed plenty of names, but that's what age and AZ Summers will do to you. help me out!
Here's a bonus for y'all. Who's coaching this All-Time Suns great squad-Do you go 7SOL with D'Antoni, do you go fundamentals with Cotton Fitzsimmons, or do you go Westphal or MacLeod? You know Jerry Colangelo coached a little in 1969, and went 24-20.
OK AND NOW THE BONUS: whose your 6th man? Barbosa right? or maybe you go Eddie House, why not Louis Amundson? Maybe you want an ex-starter as a 6th man. How about K.J. backing up Nash?
Screw the rules here. I hate authority anyway. Have some fun with this, get creative. What style jerseys is this squad wearing? Y'all like the early 90's black roadies right? Or maybe you like the 80's purple or white. Personally I hate the everything 80's except the Talking Heads.
Special Props go for the most obscure references around. Let's see some rec's for mentions of oddities like Kidd wearing the blonde do, or Cotton with a perm, Rich Kelly starting in the middle. Get as detailed as you like. Remember, we're in this together-Suns fans, NBA fans, David Stern haters.