A win is a win, yes? Even when Manny Harris scorches you for 27 points? Even when your squad turns the ball over 20 times. Add it to the W column, move on.
Tonight the Suns pulled away late in the 4th against the Cavaliers, (losers of 18 of their last 19 games, without 5 players from their usual rotation) for a 108-100 victory.
Five different Suns scored in double figures, led by Steve Nash's 20 points, 17 assists and 7 rebounds, who won despite losing Grant Hill to a knee injury early on. The Suns scored 30 points in the 3rd, the first time in 20 consecutive quarters.
- Robin Lopez looked strong with 15/6 and 3 blocks. He played the PNR well with Nash and was active on D.
- Channing Frye was effective at the 4 with 16/12 to go with 3 blocks 2 assists and 2 steals.
- Nash 3 rebounds short of a triple double. He's an All-Star, still.
- Vinsane goes for 19/7/3 and a key 3 in the 4th to put the Suns up for good.
- Dudz gets my game ball. He comes out ready to fight every single night. On this evening he was fighting off an illness but still managed to play 43 minutes off the pine to hit 5 3's and drop 21 points and 7 rebounds.
Stay tuned for more from our man on the scene, Seth for quotes, notes, and much much more.
[Note by Seth Pollack, 01/09/11 9:27 PM MST ]
Phoenix Suns Eke Out Win Over Cleveland Cavaliers - SB Nation Arizona
"Frustration's been mounting for about three months. It's hard, this is very difficult. Just trying to fight though it and stay positive every day is a challenge. Sometimes you have to take a step back to gain perspective but when you get out there, the fire burns and the frustration is there." - Nash
More in that recap about Warrick and his continued role in the rotation.
Here's a fun little side note....
While Robin was talking to the media, Pietrus stood behind the scrum and was joshing him by mimicking Robin's mumble voice. Even after it was over and Robin was walking out, MP kept at it while talking to us. Robin looked back as he was walking out and gave him and pretty nasty look. Robin didn't seem to see the humor in it - although it was kind of funny.
Oh, and also on the lighter side, Jared Dudley called Samardo Samuels, "Cookie Monster".
"They brought the Cookie Monster in, that big dude. I don't even know his name, I mean he was huge."
- Hickson faces up and drives and scores on Robin...ugh
- Nash drives and dishes to Frye who bobbles the pass out of bounds...ugh...ugh
- Vince posting up Manny Harris...that's good
- Twice now, Hill has lost his footing completely just completely slipped and fell. Is the floor that bad or does he need stick-um on his soles?
- Game Opns pumping in fake "D-Fense" chants which sound totally fake
- Horrible transition defense from Suns..and again
- Hill down hard holding knee...walked off on his own to locker room
- Cavs up 13-10
- Cavs up 18-10...Suns look flat and kind of lost again. Intensity level just isn't there. Not playing like a desperate team
- JJ Hickson out for Samuels..phew, that guy was killing Suns
- Manny Harris with 8 points. I seriously have to look up his name when I saw it just said M. Harris on the box score online
- Gorilla birthday w/ lots of other mascots...would be more fun if the Suns weren't sucking right now
- Nash with 3 turnovers. Hill with three as well but two were result of slipping on the floor
- Intensity picking up a bit after timeout
- Warrick in for Lopez. Interesting
- Refs letting them play today. I don't mind but just so obvious how inconsistent officiating is from game to game
- Nash/Warrick pick and roll sets up Frye three. 23-22, Cavs
- Nice block by Frye...that's his 2nd of the game
- Good ball movement to get Dudley an open 10-foot shot...he missed it but still good work
- This crowd is dead
- Gortat in w/ 2nd unit w/ Warrick. Spacing is going to suck
- Gentry timeout...he's pissed about defense
- Dragic tweak his knee after landing on a jump shot. Fouls and asks out of the game. Nash in
- This Warrick/Gortat front line is going to be painful to watch. Both guys have missed wide open mid-range shots. Suns at 28 points with 7:50 to go in the 2nd
- Warrick intercepts the pass but gives it right back
- 38-34, Cavs. It's really hard to comprehend how bad this Suns team is right now
- Suns at least starting to look pissed off out there...that's something
- Robin's got his shot on tonight...that's nice, someone has to. He does look engaged on both ends
- Suns offense now going through Frye and Lopez in the post
- Now Carter in the post
- You know, I said the Suns were basically giving up this season in my immediate reaction to the trade. Even I didn't think it would be this bad
- 3rd foul on Carter, MP in
- 48-50. I honestly have no idea how the Suns have 48 points. Robin w/ 12, Frye w/ 10
- Manny Harris picks up his second foul...a couple more and the Suns can get that scoring machine of the floor
- Suns up 60-58. Yippie!
- When JRich missed a corner three, I was surprised. When Vince hits a corner three, I'm surprised
- Wow, Cavs 18-3 in first half on fast break points
- Nash has made some really bad passes
- You know, I have not seen a single LeBron James jersey at this game. Where did all the Cavs fans go?
- Carter with 16...another post move against Manny Harris. Need to keep going at that
- 20 points for Manny wearing # 6 for the Cavs. LeBron James wears #6 for the Heat. Just pointing that out
- Dragic in at 5:00 min mark along w/ Gortat, Frye, MP and JD. 74-71 Suns
- Suns get JD open for a three. 79-71
- Pietrus was slow on that rotation and ran right by the Cavs player as if he was just saying hi. Good defender? Not that time
- Gortat pushes people just because he can
- Cavs go on a 10-2 run since Nash went out
- Looks like the Suns will break the 100 mark tonight barring a complete offensive collapse
- And time out Gentry as Cavs come out and drop a quick 5-0 run on the Suns. That's now 15-2 for the Cavs against Dragic and the bench unit. I guess the mascots dunking didn't fire them up
- It's come down to Robin Lopez being the guy to cheer the Suns up after Dragic traveled
- Manny Harris blew right by Vince Carter as if he was standing still. He was standing still at the time. He's still Manny Harris so he blew the lay up w/ some help by Robin's defense
- JD and GD hit back-to-back threes to tie game at 86. Crowd now pretending to care
- Nash back in for Carter, Dragic stays on the floor w/ Nash
- Frye wins the tips and knocks to Nash who tips it to Alonzo Gee (who plays for the other team)
- Nash hits a three when Cavs go under screen
- T-shirt toss being used to bribe fans into showing signs of life. It's working of course
- Vince Carter proving that just because you pass the ball doesn't mean you are good passer. Drive the lane and his kick pass to the open corner was so off that Suns weren't able to get shot off
- Warrick in for Lopez with 3:38. 95-95. Interesting
- Gentry's pissed about that charge call on Warrick but it looked legit to me
- Carter with a big three to earn some free tacos for these poor, hungry fans
- Dudley to the line shooting two after a run out on the missed Cavs three. Dudley 1-1. 102-96, 1:20
- Nice rebound by Carter
- Cavs switch Jamison on to Nash. Nash shoots over him while Warrick takes a charge on the other end. That should do it. 104-96, 47 sec. Suns ball